[Gllug] Access Database to MySQL / PostreSQL

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Jun 13 10:06:28 UTC 2003

Bernard Peek wrote:
> In message <3EE89FD7.4000402 at harkness.co.uk>, Xander D Harkness
> <xander at harkness.co.uk> writes
>
>> I have a few Access databases that are used to run a company's
>> information flow.  (The whole company depends upon them)
>>

> Moving the data is almost trivially easy. But there is no usable
> equivalent front-end that I've been able to find. I've asked in several
> places where I'd have expected someone to know.

I'm curious, when you say front end - what do you mean ... ?

are you talking about the forms that people might use after they have
been created, the forms building tools - or some other aspect of M$ Access?

The only times I have really used Access have been as part of an ASP
project - when I've effecitivly been working from the command line anyway !

The one thing I do really like about Access is the relationships tool ..

It seems to me that Access is several packages in one, database server,
visual development environment, report generator, database design tool..

No open source package is likely to take this approach

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk