[Gllug] Access Database to MySQL / PostreSQL

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Fri Jun 13 08:41:15 UTC 2003

In message <3EE89FD7.4000402 at harkness.co.uk>, Xander D Harkness
<xander at harkness.co.uk> writes
>I have a few Access databases that are used to run a company's
>information flow.  (The whole company depends upon them)
>
>These databases are the last item preventing a move for 200 desktops
>from Windows to Linux.
>
>If I could migrate the data to an FLOSS database with a web front end
>it would make life much easier.
>
>Does anyone have any experience doing such a thing?  How painful was
>it?  Did it work?

Moving the data is almost trivially easy. But there is no usable
equivalent front-end that I've been able to find. I've asked in several
places where I'd have expected someone to know.

The closest is Knoda (http://www.knoda.org/) but that's a long way from
being a generally usable program.

I understand that the latest Crossover will run Access under Linux, but
I don't know anything about its speed. You might get better speed by
using Crossover to run the Access front end but have the data in a MySQL
server elsewhere.

The last alternative that I've considered is using a general-purpose
visual programming system. I've been thinking of Kylix.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com
www.diversebooks.com: SF & Computing book reviews and more.....