[Gllug] Network configuration

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Fri Jun 20 09:53:00 UTC 2003

Alistair Mann wrote:
> Thus spaketh Jonathan Dye on Friday 20 June 2003 8:36 am:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I will shortly be getting ADSL (assuming my line tests pass) and
>> with that I have been given eight ip addresses (although one is the
>> network address and one the broadcast address).  My ISP has told me
>> that the router they are sending me will be assigned one of these
>> addresses.  I want to use the other 4 for my own machines behind a
>> firewall machine.
>
> Stop there. Only your firewall machine will need to have one of your
> eight IP addresses. m1, m2 and m3 would all get private addresses
> such as192.168.0.2 and use the firewall's internal IP address as
> their gateway. The firewall would use NAT to get the traffic out onto
> the Internet. Only machines which are connected to the router need
> public IPs!

I want the machines to be public accessible and then use the firewall to
choose what actually gets in.  For example I want to be able to ssh into any
of the internal machines.  Therefore I though my options were to either give
them all real IP addresses or to re-write the public addresses to private
addresses with a one to one mapping at the firewall.  I thought the former
would be simpler.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk