[Gllug] Email Folders

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Jun 11 11:36:55 UTC 2003

On Wed 11 Jun Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Doug Winter wrote:
>
> > First, all the major MTAs support SMTP AUTH.  Unfortunately, Linux
> > doesn't - well, not with PAM anyway.  Because the PAM API is implemented
> > as a shared object, it runs as the owner of the calling process, who
> > generally can't access the shadow password file.
>
> You are wrong. Access to the shadow password database does require an
> extra consideration however that is very easy to fix.
>
> I've been using PAM to authenticate SMTP AUTH for over three years.

Great - absolutely, this is certainly a better solution.  I'd be
interested in how you do the authentication against the shadow database.

The best solution I've seen is a patched pam_unix.so that allows one
other specific group to authenticate against the shadow password
database through PAM.  Personally, I consider this to be a pretty evil
hack itself.

> > Second is that many users are pretty clueless, and providing the
> > inevitable telephone support for people who can't send mail is
> > irritating in the extreme.  The more fields they need to complete in
> > outlook express the more of them will screw up.
>
> It's not that much extra support - I know as I've been providing it.

Splendid, I am pleased for you.  Would you care to provide everyone
elses too? :)

> Obviously every extra facility you provide means more support however that
> is far harder to provide for non standard solutions such as DRAC.

Yes, I found DRAC to be too difficult to maintain, and not generic
enough.

doug.

--
As soon as questions of will or decision or reason or choice of action
arise, human science is at a loss. -- Noam Chomsky