[Gllug] .htaccess type question

Adrian McMenamin Adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 23:40:41 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 22:17, will wrote:

> Why not just use .htaccess?  Most clients should cache the authentication
> information if you are worried about the users having to re-authenticate for
> every page.

I wasn't aware that I could (with a dynamically generated page - maybe I
didn't make that clear enough) and certainly don't want to put .htaccess
in the cgi-bin directory as that would break the whole of the site.

Can I execute a perl file in an arbitrary location? If I try it now it
just lists the perl source. And if I can are there good reasons not to?

The alternative would be to populate the "static" page via perl (I've
done this before - specifying the source of a javascript applet as a
perl cgi script) but that is a real pain.

Any other ideas?

Adrian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk