[Gllug] .htaccess type question

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 00:15:04 UTC 2003

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 22:17, will wrote:
>

>>Why not just use .htaccess?  Most clients should cache the authentication
>>information if you are worried about the users having to re-authenticate for
>>every page.
>
> I wasn't aware that I could (with a dynamically generated page - maybe I
> didn't make that clear enough) and certainly don't want to put .htaccess
> in the cgi-bin directory as that would break the whole of the site.

Yes, you can do this.  To allow other scripts to work without using the
authentication put the scripts and .htaccess file in a sub-directory of the
cgi-bin, eg: /cgi-bin/admin-scripts/ .  I am doing this for some admin type
scripts I am using on a site, it works fine.

> Can I execute a perl file in an arbitrary location? If I try it now it
> just lists the perl source. And if I can are there good reasons not to?

Depending on the configuration of apache this would be possible, but probably
not needed.

> The alternative would be to populate the "static" page via perl (I've
> done this before - specifying the source of a javascript applet as a
> perl cgi script) but that is a real pain.

That sounds really really horrible ;-)  And also completely insecure.

Will.

--
Will Jessop
Freelance web systems developer