[Gllug] Netscape 4.7 - aaargh

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Mon Mar 17 09:00:51 UTC 2003

Stuart Children writes:

>Basically: If you can get the same out of the site with Netscape 4.x
>as you can with lynx then it's fine.

Even that's not always possible. NS4's CSS support is so badly broken
that it *tries* to implement some things and fails, not displaying it
at all. If it just acknowlodged that it couldn't handle a given feature,
it would degrade gracefully to plain text...

NS4 usage on the net is so low nowadays that it's generally not worth
gratuitously sacrificing the purity of your HTML to cater for it. It
doesn't even appear on our stats for this month, for example, which
means it accounts for less that 0.15% of our traffic.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk