[Gllug] Netscape 4.7 - aaargh

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Mar 17 12:05:39 UTC 2003

On Monday, 17 Mar 2003, Tethys wrote:
>Stuart Children writes:
>>Basically: If you can get the same out of the site with Netscape 4.x
>>as you can with lynx then it's fine.
>Even that's not always possible. NS4's CSS support is so badly broken
>that it *tries* to implement some things and fails, not displaying it
>at all.

The only ray of light is that if people have JS turned off with NS4,
it also turns off its CSS support. This let me continue to use NS4
until quite recently (ie, this year).

>NS4 usage on the net is so low nowadays that it's generally not worth
>gratuitously sacrificing the purity of your HTML to cater for it. It
>doesn't even appear on our stats for this month, for example, which
>means it accounts for less that 0.15% of our traffic.

Errrr... but if you deliberately don't cater for NS4, is that so
remarkable even ignoring the usual caveats about User-Agent: ?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk