[Gllug] Advice on getting on the career ladder for c and linux

ben f ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 11:57:57 UTC 2003

Hi

I just wanted to float a question to those in the
know:

I currently work as an applications developer
designing and implementing php based web portals (with
session based logons etc) on a linux box I administer
linking to dbs such as mysql, oracle and adabas. I
also do some admin work on an HP-UX 11.0 box.

My role also includes some basic C programming and
shell scripting. I know more C than I use at work as I
study a lot at home.

I've been in this role for nearly 2 yrs. I could
continue with web design but I don't want to.

I want to move into C programming. Trouble is, with my
primary emphasis on php, will I be taken seriously? To
my mind php is c-like but *very* much simpler.

Can anyone let me know:
1. Do I have enough experience to apply for C jobs and
if so, what kind (I've been trawling workthing and
jobserve but most roles seem to me to be minimum 2yrs
C experiece which rules me out).
2. Does anyone know of any jobs going!! ;-)
3. Should I try to get experience by getting involved
in something basic on sourgeforce?

Bit of a long post, but I need help here.

Thanks.

Ben

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk