[Gllug] Advice on getting on the career ladder for c and linux

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 23:21:36 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:57:57AM +0000, ben f wrote:

> Can anyone let me know:
> 1. Do I have enough experience to apply for C jobs and
> if so, what kind (I've been trawling workthing and
> jobserve but most roles seem to me to be minimum 2yrs
> C experiece which rules me out).

Apply for them anyway, you may get rejected out of hand but at least someone
somewhere will be looking at your CV, and when a suitable role comes in they
may (if you are very lucky, and have been good this year) remember you and give
you a call. The other thing to keep in mind is that I got lots of phone calls
recently asking if i programmed in C, the short answer is "no" and I have never
programmed in C and don't really want to either and I do systems/network admin
type jobs (this was very plainly obvious on my CV, even the line
"systems/network administrator" line didn't give enough clue to some of them),
anyhow it didn't stop the pimps from phoning me though asking how good I was
at development. So give it a chance, you never know what may happen.

Oh and BTW all jobs say "2 years minimum experience" for whatever skill they
want, I have seen in the past people wanting 5 years+ experience of products
that have only been around for a couple of years.

> 2. Does anyone know of any jobs going!! ;-)

There should be some on jobserve ;)

> 3. Should I try to get experience by getting involved
> in something basic on sourgeforce?

Do you want to get involved in a sourceforge project?  If you really want to be
involved then do it, if you are not too bothered I would say no. That kind of
thing should be more of a personal thing if you want to do it or not.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk