[Gllug] Priracy.

Stig Brautaset gllug at brautaset.org
Tue Mar 4 11:13:03 UTC 2003

On Mar 04 2003, Peter wrote:
> 	Linux is never going to replace Windows until people start
> replising that Software Piracy is a real crime and is exactly the same as
> Stealling.
> 	Its not the law abiding computer users we need to convert most of
> them know that If its leally free and it works its good. But how do we
> tell the great users of Grokster and the like that Linux is free when they
> argue that windows is free becuase I can down load it for free from the
> internet using Grokster.
> 	Like any criminal activity it damages the real work, and strangly
> that of real Open Source Software (Which just so happerns to be Leally
> free)
> 	The problem seams to be that software piracy is not really sean as
> a crime and the likly hood of being found is neally zero. If only becuase
> a good copy of windows is very difficult to prove.
> 	In short although Linux is free and Open. we still have to do
> battle with Windows becuase many people "Think" windows is free too (Just
> not Open Source which means nothing to most people)

I've met people that use argue they use windows _because of this very
reason_. They like the warm fuzzy feeling they get by stealing from BG.
It's just a shit argument, I guess, designed to make me put a sock in it
about how much better off they would be using free software.

Anyway, the point is that may people _are_ aware, they just don't
fsckin' care.

Stig
--
brautaset.org