[Gllug] HD Suppliers

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Wed Mar 19 15:16:46 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 02:05:23PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Wed 19 Mar, Murray wrote:
> >
> > So my disk has started clunking and grinding and refusing to mount, or
> > respond.
> >
> > Need a new disk.
> >
>    I believe that a regular clunking noise can indicate that the disc is not
> getting up to speed and the head assembly keeps attempting to access the
> disc but failing. I have been lucky enough not to have lost any data through
> a dying disc, but has anyone managed to do a last-ditch backup by feeding
> the drive from a slightly overvoltage power supply? I have also considered
> introducing a tiny amount of very high grade light oil to the bearing via
> the screw hole at the top of the disc. I believe that some manufacturers

I have successfully retrieved data from a dead scsi hdd by putting it in
the freezer for an hour, then quickly plug it in start PC mount drive
and dump/copy data to another disc.  It gave me about 10 minutes
operation before it started to give read errors again.  I think the idea
behind it is that there is enough toloerance in bearings etc when it's
very cold (shrunk) to operate, once things heat up and expand you get
into trouble again.  This is a common thing for data recovery places to
try first with problem drives.

HTH
Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk