[Gllug] ADSL Modem recommendations

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Mar 19 19:58:59 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, 19 Mar 2003, Adam Bower wrote:
>My choice is either adsl or possibly an NTL cable modem but NTL want a minimum
>12 month sign up which is a real pain and I can't be sure I will still be here
>then. Also Cable modem would be no good as I need a static ip address...

Cable modem addresses are very nearly static - as in, unless you
really are running a must-have service out of it, it's OK to have it
change every 6 months - your machine can mail you and let you know
it's changed so you can update the DNS.

I would, however, discourage you from cable modem because NTL actually
bring shame upon useless bastards everywhere with the sheer degree of
their monumental incompetence. We have just paid over 150 quid to have
a BT phoneline installed, purchase an ADSL modem and get Zen's service
up and running... and in my view it's money well spent. Once I have
dealt with the last ever cable modem bill (which is, of course,
completely wrong) it will be a blissful end to the whole thing.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk