[Gllug] SSH stupidity (from me)

Adrian McMenamin Adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 20:17:32 UTC 2003

I've even bought the book but I am still confused.

I am on Homechoice which has NAT and certainly well-known ports are not
forwarded. I want to access my home box from the office - and trhis
message says I can do that. But I don't really understand the message
and the how? bit.

Could someone explain.

I have used man and so on - but just don't get it....

=====================================
Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
Erm, sorry but this is really a solution searching for a problem.  I've
been using the following with my Homechoice for near on a year.  All you
need is an account on a publicly accessible machine that runs ssh (which
you should, of course, be running).

#!/bin/sh

while $1
    do
    ssh -v -C -l str -R 7890:localhost:22 remotehost "sleep 120"
    sleep 120
    done

I dug up this old message.

Could someone explain it to me?

Is this to be run on the HC box or the box outside the NAT? And what
does it allow? A shell (via ssh) to be run on the HC box from a remote
machine?

Does this work because ports above a certain number are forwarded?

I am rather confused.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk