[Gllug] Recruit scum

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 09:05:38 UTC 2003

Re:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 09:45:28PM +0000, Mark Preston wrote:
 > Re:-
 > "You have sent me a file with rtf on the end, I cannot use that, may I
 > have a word document instead?  We run Word 98 and it cannot open these
 > files."
 > Pete Ryland wrote:
 > $ mv cv.rtf cv.doc
 >

 > or
 > $ mv cv.doc cv.rtf?
 > A lemon entry my dear Watson.

Actually, an rtf file named cv.rtf is *not* readable by Word[1], whereas,
the exact same file, named cv.doc actually is.  The truth is stranger than.

Possibly misunderstanding you,
Pete

[1] Note that I haven't used MS Word for about four or five years, so this
may have changed.
--
Pete Ryland
On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 11:14:39PM +0000, Mark Preston wrote:
 > My version of Word 97 handles .rtf and .doc files. In fact, one of my
 > first experiences when getting involved with Linux fans was being
told not
 > to send another .doc attachment, but convert future .doc files into .rtf
 > files as these are less likely to transmit viruses. They are also less
 > hefty on the download front.

Ok, I stand corrected.  Possibly I'm getting confused with said "recruit
scum" not knowing how to read RTF files unless you rename them xyz.doc,
rather than Microsoft Word itself.

Pete
--
Pete Ryland
http://pdr.cx/

Hi Pete,

I wish I'd not sent any of these postings because I misread your first
post and got the wrong end of the stick. The fault lies squarely with
the clueless "recruit scum". The frustrating thing I find is that if you
try asking for .rtf files to be sent instead of .doc files it almost
always gets ignored by the same types who like spamming with .docs.
Regards,
Mark

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk