[Gllug] First instalfest

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 11:20:15 UTC 2003

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Alex Blacknell wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I attended my first Instalfest a couple of weeks ago not knowing what I was
> letting myself in for.
> I have never had occasion to touch Unix, Linux etc so when I was handed a
> leaflet up at the London sat fair I was struck with a form of curiosity so
> decided to go along and listen to what was on offer.
> I must say that I found the lectures very interesting for someone who has
> been brought up on Win3.1 - XP, so much so that I purchased a copy of
> Knoppix 3.1 hoping to step onto a new computing ladder or rung.
> Since then I have enjoyed and sworn at this wonderful piece of software and
> have got involved with a few forums to iron out a few
> installation/configuration issues, some are still to be sorted but to date I
> have managed to install Knoppix to HD resulting in a Debian/KDE3 desktop.
> My only issue at the moment is that the screen display is ghosted badly
> giving what looks like 3 superimposed images of the desktop.
> I have been trying various 'cheatcodes', none seem to work so far, has
> anyone else tried Knoppix on this list who wishes to discuss installation
> issues ?

 Is that a trick question? We using knoppix?

 There are great minds in here, but I'm sorry to say, "not me though"
 and we are no telepaths, so unless you provide info about things like
 wich videocard are you using, helping will be a bit tricky.

> Apart from the above I have been keeping pace with the daily comings and
> goings on the list and have been both capivated and amused by the content
> and the odd 'swordfight' between certain parties.
> If I might add here I for one don't have any issue with people voicing their
> opinions on other subjects as I feel it creates a bit of variety, after all
> life would be pretty boring if we had to survive on nothing but rice three
> times a day !

 Just add a bit of pepper. :-)  (Ask Colin, he is an expert.)

> So I just wanted to say thank you to whoever was handing out leaflets that
> saturday which has helped to open up a new 'window' to my computing
> experience.
>
> Alex Blacknell

 Might have been myself.

 You seem to have progressed a lot really fast.

 I'm not going to say Welcome to the group!, cause you felt that in
 person at the InstallFest, hopefully...

 Go forth and spread the word.

 Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk