[Gllug] Regarding priracy (sic)

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com chris.wareham at btopenworld.com
Wed Mar 5 10:51:57 UTC 2003

Before I signed up to the GLLUG list a friend and former subscriber
commented on how "militant" the topics could get. The current discussion
on "piracy" amply proves him right. What is really at question here is
copyright law, and whether it serves any positive purpose. It also
touches on deeper political concepts such as the degree of state control
in society, individual responsiblity and collective responsiblity.

The moral justification of copyright is that without protection of
intellectual works, there is no incentive to produce them. The incentive
is most often money, be it for an individuals direct benefit or the
benefit of a company. In the free software world the incentive can be
money or kudos. Either way copyright law protects you. Those arguing for
the unlimited right to duplicate software, music or even Coca-Cola(!)
conclude that copyright is a bad thing based on a narrow, selfish
criteria.

The anti-copyright mob claim that because they can copy something, that
those who try and stop them are "profit grabbing bastards". Nope. Think
about music, something that I have a considerable involvement in. I pay
for my equipment. I pay for rehearsal time. I pay for recording and I
get nothing for distribution. Now you come along and think "I've read
that all data should be free, I'm unable or unwilling to satisfy my own
musical needs but I can copy someone elses music". If I have explicitly
said "you can copy my music freely", then that's not a problem. But what
is happening with music is that people are copying it regardless of the
creators wishes just because they can, and then coming up with ludicrous
justifications.

The Coca-Cola example is bogus, as your making something from
ingredients. The blank CDR that someone uses to pirate my music is *not*
the raw ingredients of the music anymore than it's the raw creative
energy that goes into coding a piece of software.

So in short, stop slagging off copyright law. If someone produces a
piece of software and wants to sell it, then respect their decision or
go and write your free alternative. The ability to copy the end result
of someones hard work does not in itself justify your right to do so.

Now, can we get back to answering *technical* queries regarding Linux
and free software and perhaps setup an alternative Chat list for the
anarcho-student type wastes of bandwidth.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk