[Gllug] Regarding priracy (sic)

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Wed Mar 5 11:11:10 UTC 2003

On Wed 05 Mar chris.wareham at btopenworld.com wrote:
> The anti-copyright mob claim that because they can copy something, that
> those who try and stop them are "profit grabbing bastards". Nope. Think
> about music, something that I have a considerable involvement in. I pay
> for my equipment. I pay for rehearsal time. I pay for recording and I
> get nothing for distribution. Now you come along and think "I've read
> that all data should be free, I'm unable or unwilling to satisfy my own
> musical needs but I can copy someone elses music". If I have explicitly
> said "you can copy my music freely", then that's not a problem. But what
> is happening with music is that people are copying it regardless of the
> creators wishes just because they can, and then coming up with ludicrous
> justifications.

I think the anti-copyright mob would assert that it isn't "your" music,
you merely created it.  The claim that creation engenders ownership is
the crux of the moral case for copyright.  That has as many problems as
theories of ownership in meatspace.

doug.

http://www.britishsteal.com                        doug at pigeonhold.com
1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF