[Gllug] ADSL Modem recommendations

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 00:24:58 UTC 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Adam Bower wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 02:56:05PM +0000, Formi wrote:
> >
> >  Congratulations on your guerrilla tactics, personally I would not
> >  consider adsl, because at some point bt would be in the middle and:
>
> My choice is either adsl or possibly an NTL cable modem but NTL want a minimum
> 12 month sign up which is a real pain and I can't be sure I will still be here
> then. Also Cable modem would be no good as I need a static ip address...
>
> Damned if you do, and damned if you don't

  Whose fault is it? gov and bt

 I don't believe it is a very good idea to run services at home with such
 lines. I run 3 machines on a adsl link with 5 statics, and if for example
 you have a web server and 4-5 people start downloading or doing heavy
 usage of it, unless they are on dial-up they will eat all your uplink
 bandwith on a matter of seconds.

 We tested this with a uni connection and the machines become unreachable
 for a quite a long while.

 Light traffic services are ok, like a mail server, leafnode, squid ...

 Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk