[Gllug] More fetchmail/sendmail questions

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 2 22:45:55 UTC 2003

On Sun 02 Mar, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 13:24, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>
> > Can you throw in your fetchmail config (normally only one line) minus
> > the passwords ;-)
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Xander
> >
> ~/.fetchmailrc is....
>
> poll pop3.demon.co.uk protocol pop3:
>    user "adrian at mcmen" there has password "nottelling"
>         is "Adrian" here keep
>

> As I am just testing I am keeping the email on the pop server (so
> evolution can download it normally) and I am just invoking fetchmail
> from the command line.

   I spent ages trying to get fetchmail to work in Debian 3.0 daemon mode
while I continued to download my mail using my old system, requesting
fetchmail to leave mail on the Demon server using "keep". It would work
happily in test mode, but refuse to start in daemon mode. The only way that
I could persuade fetchmail to work correctly was to remove the option
"keep".
   There is a default file /etc/default/fetchmail which should contain a
pointer to the configuration file. If each user collects their own mail
independently, the configuration file is /home/username/.fetchmailrc but if
fetchmail is to work in daemon mode the configuration file is
/etc/fetchmailrc which must be chown fetchmail/nogroup with chmod
permissions 0600
   My own configuration file /etc/fetchmailrc may not be perfect, but it is

set postmaster person at localhost
set bouncemail
defaults:
  antispam 501 550 553 554 571
  batchlimit 100
poll pop3.demon.co.uk proto SDPS aka mailstore no dns:
        localdomains mydomain.demon.co.uk my_private_network_name
        user mydomain pass my_password is * smtphost localhost

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk