[Gllug] Piracy

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 07:38:26 UTC 2003

On , 4 Mar 2003, John Hearns wrote:
 >Please read carefully what I posted.

 >I do not believe that Richard Stallman advocates software 'sharing' of
 >licensed software. Indeed, given that he famously says that he never
 >uses non-free software I doubt he would bother copying it. I can see
 >the headlines in The Sun now "Free software advocate in MS Office
 >Shame". RMS wouldn't even read the source code to non-free Unix, in
 >case there could be a case brought for plagiarism.
 >(Someone please provide a link to this story - I'm not 100% sure it was
 >Unix source code)

Hi John,
You may be referring to page 21 of "Rebel Code" by Glynn Moody

"I certainly never looked at the source code of Unix" Stallman says.
"Never. I once accidentally saw a file, and when I realized it was part
of Unix source code, I stopped looking at it." The reason was simple:
The source code was a trade secret, and I didn't want to be accused of
stealing that trade secret," he says. "I condemn trade secrecy, I think
it's an immoral practice, but for the project to succeed, I had to work
within the immoral laws that existed."

Regards,
Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk