[Gllug] How to do a 'make install'

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Mon Mar 10 19:50:15 UTC 2003

* Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk> [030310 19:20]:
> On Monday 10 March 2003 19:04, Eric Lee wrote:
> > I've downloaded, unzipped and untarred the spca50x video for Linux
> > driver which is supposed to work with my Intel CS330 webcam.  Only
> > problem is, the Readme says to use 'make install' to do an 'automatic
> > installation'.  I've tried several different permutations of this, have
> > moved the untarred file spca50x-0.30.o to various places (e.g.,
> > /usr/src), but when I try to run make or make install I get 'No rule to
> > make target install.  Stop' and similar error messages.
> >
> > OK, I admit -- I have no idea what 'make' does and can't find much in
> > the way of explanation in my various Linux books.
>
> Right... make is the command which causes the package to be compiled. You can
> decompress the source anywhere (within reason), but /usr/src/ is good. You
> need to cd into the source directory and see if there is a script called
> configure. If so then execute it with: ./configure then use make on its own,
> then make install. The first two can be run as a normal user, but make
> install needs root privelidge.

But spca50x-0.30.o sounds like a binary module to me... so the problem
is installing, not compiling.  There will either be a Makefile in the
directory created when you untar the archive in the first place - in
which case just cd into that directory and run make install - or not, in
which case frankly you could just copy the module into
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/drivers/media or some such and then do a
depmod -a followed by a modprobe.

HTH
jack

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk