[Gllug] How to do a 'make install'

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon Mar 10 19:15:09 UTC 2003

On Monday 10 March 2003 19:04, Eric Lee wrote:
> I've downloaded, unzipped and untarred the spca50x video for Linux
> driver which is supposed to work with my Intel CS330 webcam.  Only
> problem is, the Readme says to use 'make install' to do an 'automatic
> installation'.  I've tried several different permutations of this, have
> moved the untarred file spca50x-0.30.o to various places (e.g.,
> /usr/src), but when I try to run make or make install I get 'No rule to
> make target install.  Stop' and similar error messages.
>
> OK, I admit -- I have no idea what 'make' does and can't find much in
> the way of explanation in my various Linux books.

Right... make is the command which causes the package to be compiled. You can
decompress the source anywhere (within reason), but /usr/src/ is good. You
need to cd into the source directory and see if there is a script called
configure. If so then execute it with: ./configure then use make on its own,
then make install. The first two can be run as a normal user, but make
install needs root privelidge.

Dylan

--
"Sweet moderation