[Gllug] Frustrated with Linux - Gllug #2621

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Sat Mar 1 11:16:32 UTC 2003

At 08:52 01/03/03, you wrote:

>My suggestions: Suse Professional 8.0 is good.  A faster machine would help.
>Suse includes Star Office,

Not any more. Suse Pro 8.1 came only with Office.Org.

I dislike Suse I'm heading back to Mandrake. When I first started I tried
Mandrake and I was actually able to do more then than I am now with Suse.
At the end of the day, it's all about *doing*, i.e. *working with* or
*working on*.

Also, the help available for Suse leaves loads to be desired. For me as a
beginner at any rate. Also, searching the web site has proved very
frustrating. And, to boot, a lot of my Google searches have proved very
unfruitful turning up many German language sites. The Mandrake site seems
more useful though I seem to remember that if you want a higher level of
help at the web site you have to pay a registration fee - not too sure
about this. Though whether your searches on the net will produce French
sites remains to be seen.

I'm still a beginner and now believe it's very important to start with an
easy distro. And take it to its limits before moving on.

This discussion seems very useful (thanks for starting it off with such an
honest post, Steve) - it's helped me to realise that I like the *idea* of
Linux more than I actually like Linux. Still, I'm hanging in there though I
appreciate that mixing a large dollop of Windows with infrequent trips to
Linux may make me the eternal Linux beginner. But at the end of the day a
PC is a tool and like any tool you don't want to spend all your time
sharpening the thing.

rgds
Dermot