[Gllug] They worked brilliantly

James de Lurker jtl2nospamMUNGIEjump at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 1 18:41:28 UTC 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Gllug] They worked brilliantly
Date: 01 Mar 2003 14:25:52 +0000
From: Mark Lowes <hamster at korenwolf.net>

Mark Lowes wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 10:16, Adam Bower wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 03:38:03PM +0000, Mark Lowes wrote:

>>>Been round this loop (please read the archives), I think the last time
>>>this came up the view amongst those who responded was that the list
>>>should remain open.

>>one possible addition to this is to add +2 onto the spam-status for postings
>>from unsubscribed addresses, so that most list mail will come through as normal

> Non-trivial.

And undesirable. That would prevent my postings making the list. I use the
same UseNet profile to make it easier to carry an interesting topic across
from UseNet to list or vice-versa, and remain clearly identifiable.

>>but the increased value in spam assassin should get pretty much everything.
>>Although on the other side you may still get the occaisional spam so it can
>>never be perfect.

As long as false positives are effectively attacked in return, and remain a
small percentage of traffic - there is no problem.

I'm confident that there are enough skilled and moral people here able to
keep ahead of any technical arms race with spammers, and punish them when
they have the temerity to abuse the list address.