[Gllug] Are old Unix books any good?

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 09:22:10 UTC 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 08:47:59AM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> For sysadmin:
>
> "Unix power tools" -- O'Reilly. Make sure you get the first edition.
>                                 They ruined it for the second.

There is now a 3rd edition of this out, its apparently got Linux specific tips
in it now, I havn't seen or read it though. Another O'Reilly I can really
reccomend is "Essential System Administration" I have an old edition which is
good, apparently this has also been brought up to date too. My favourite book
for learning shell programming dates from about 1990 "Unix shell programming,
Revised edition" by Kochan and Wood, some of the older shell books are very
handy as it does make writing portable shell scripts that much easier.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk