[Gllug] I QUIT

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 23:53:24 UTC 2003

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 11:38:53AM +1300, Jonathan Harker wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm disappointed to have to leave because there are some nice folks
> here, but I just can't be bothered dealing with all the reckless abuse
> that goes on in this forum. Fine, sure, perhaps I rise to the bait too
> much and feed the troll, and yes, sure, I should filter said troll, but
> I don't see why I should have to.

Awww, come on, you are referring to D.D. and he can be quite inflamatory but that
only really adds colour, you have to realise that he can be a troll of the highest
calibre too.... ;) please stay and don't get wrapped up in personal politics,
there are many people in life who you can't get on with, personally I find its not
worth making a change in your life to get away from them unless they are in some
position to really hurt you in real world terms. (tbh after having to make a huge
change in my own life due to a real threat of physical violence (nothing to do
with the internet at all) leaving a mailing list due to not liking what someone
says and how they express themselves is a bit extreme)

At least on the internet you can ignore them which is much easier than irl. Of
course the other thing is that it is far easier to get level with people on the
internet than having to smash their heads in with a brick in real life and face
the results of having to go to prison. (BTW i havn't done this, and I only felt
like doing to them what they wanted to do to me)

> In my opinion this list should be monitored or subscription-only so that
>  poisonous posts or people can simply be bounced or kicked off. It
> would sure make this place a more pleasant, polite and troll-free place
> to be. Currently, this is the rudest online forum I've ever been a part
> of to date, and I've been around. $DEITY knows what newbies or new
> subscribers must think. I know a number of people who have also left in
> disgust, but haven't said so and just slipped away.

That would amount to censorship, if you don't like what someone says then you
filter them directly. It should not be up to the "moderators" of a public forum to
censor people, again you are referring to D.D. and although he can be the cause of
many inflammatory comments he does quite often know what he is talking about.
<freedom of speech>

> It's up to you remaining folks to do something about it, but I've had
> enough.

What we want to do is to make you stay, if you leave will you consider coming back
sometime? maybe going digest only is a good compromise here? please don't go, the
list is not so nice without you.

> Oh, and technically I'm about as far from London as it is possible to
> get anyway  :-)

now your just rubbing it in to the rest of us, can we come and visit? ;)

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk