[Gllug] More fetchmail/sendmail questions

Andy Loates andy at the-bizz.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 2 21:58:00 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 14:54, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 13:24, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>
> > Can you throw in your fetchmail config (normally only one line) minus
> > the passwords ;-)
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Xander
> >
> ~/.fetchmailrc is....
>
> poll pop3.demon.co.uk protocol pop3:
>    user "adrian at mcmen" there has password "nottelling"
>         is "Adrian" here keep
>

> As I am just testing I am keeping the email on the pop server (so
> evolution can download it normally) and I am just invoking fetchmail
> from the command line.
>
> If I substitute "root" for "Adrian" then the email is successfully
> delivered to root. But basically I cannot send mail to "Adrian" at all -
> even if I type, say "mail Adrian" as root - the email bounces - so i
> don't think it is a fetchmail problem as such.
>
> If invoke "mail" from the command line when logged in as Adrian - this
> is what I get:
>
> [Adrian at landslide Adrian]$ mail Adrian
> Subject: test
> This is a test email
> .
> Cc:
> [Adrian at landslide Adrian]$ /home/Adrian/dead.letter... Saved message in
> /home/Adrian/dead.letter

Couple of suggestions.

I use demon as well. On my .rc file I just have the Demon login name
i.e. "mcmen" not "user at mcmen". Also I have no quotation marks around my
user name.

poll pop3.demon.co.uk protocol pop3:
    user 'mcmen' there has password 'nottelling'
         is Adrian here keep

Also in Sendmail have you set up your aliases files for user Adrian.
I'm definitely no expert in the dark art of Sendmail configs but to get
my small network of users recieving their mail each user account had to
have an entry in the /etc/alaises file such as "andy : andy" and as i'm
the sysadmin an entry as "root : andy" etc etc.

HTH

Andy Loates

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk