[Gllug] Wrong ADSL modem/router?

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 23:37:26 UTC 2003

I've just ordered a Netgear DG814 ADSL router/modem/4-port switch to go
with a small LAN consisting of 2 Linux boxes and one XP. Initially I
intend to use the simple firewall settings on the router until I've
setup a dedicated Linux firewall box so first-off it looks like:

Internet -> router -> 192.168.1.2
                      192.168.1.4
                      192.168.1.6

However, my plans for the dedicated firewall are:

Internet -> firewall -> router -> 192.168.1.2
                                  192.168.1.4
                                  192.168.1.6

Maybe the router and firewall have to be reversed? I'm a bit new to it
all but you have to start somewhere. Since the router also houses the
modem what's the ADSL connection line going to plug into on the firewall
machine? Does it simply require a couple of NICs or does it have to
connect to the modem at the first point of contact?

Does such a 3-in-1 product limit my options? I still have time to cancel
the order. Should I buy a separate router/switch and modem?

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk