RealPlayer (was: Re: [Gllug] BBCi)

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Fri Mar 21 10:40:00 UTC 2003

On Thu 20 Mar Dylan wrote:
> Well, I'm on SuSE8.1, and no - RP doesn't do anything which leaves the system
> requiring a reboot, but... I find that it will (either or all of) (a) refuse
> to connect (even to a local file); (b) spontaneously abend; or (c) play a
> stream (or local file) for a few seconds before freezing - requiring a kill.
> The only way to get RP working again in this situation is a reboot.

This means that when it dies it'll be leaving something lying around.
I'd check for processes owned by you that look like they might be
realplayer, especially if their ppid is 1.

I don't think it uses them, but another possibility is unix domain
sockets left lying around (also known as named pipes).

It'll be some resource it's not cleaning up anyhow.  Much better to find
out what it is than reboot - you learn nothing about how to fix the
problem in the future if you reboot.

Realplayer is a pretty terrible piece of software.  The good news is
that Real are planning to release the code under some form of Open
Source license - so far their proposed licenses aren't really free, but
they seem to be quite committed.

cheers,

doug.

http://www.britishsteal.com                        doug at pigeonhold.com
1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"The United States is like the guy at the party who gives
cocaine to everybody and still nobody likes him. -- Jim Samuels"