[Gllug] (OT- I think!?) SPAM?

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Mar 26 14:12:05 UTC 2003

For those unfamiliar with US Law, many of these "frivolous" law suits are
brought to court for one reason only, protection of their product name (or
trademark).  In the US, if you do not actively defend your trademark then it
is easy to lose control of it, especially if it comes into common usage.
Xerox and Kleenex are two of the big ones in the past.  It used to be
general usage to say "I just need to Xerox this..." rather than photocopy.
When the other copier manufacturers had machines and the Xerox name was used
for all copies, Xerox came close to losing control of it's own name and a
similar thing happened with Kleenex.  Many companies will bring suit against
people with no real intention of actually taking them to court over it, but
it is in their interest to show active defense of their trademarks.

Andy Farnsworth
Mobile   : +44 (0) 7736 952 749
@Ikea    : +46 (0)   42 264 982
@Timeless: +44 (0)  208 818 2929