[Gllug] BBC News 24 at higher quality

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon Mar 24 13:45:32 UTC 2003

On Monday 24 March 2003 12:19, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Monday, Mar 24, 2003, at 11:46 Europe/London, Dylan wrote:
> > Actually, I'd like to see the BBC put pressure on RealNetworks to open
> > their
> > system (at least somewhat.) But my major gripe is that the broadband
> > content
> > is primarily (only?) available through an embedded player. It would be
> > easy
> > enough to provide a "if you can't use the embedded player..." link. I
> > have
> > already mailed the BBC to that effect, but of course have had no
> > response.
>
> Eh? It's there already, isn't it? I've been using Camino on OS X for a
> while as my primary browser, and that doesn't (yet) support embedding
> Real Player, but have been listening to Radio 6 and am now watching
> News 24 without having to jump through hoops. Maybe I'm missing
> something?

The radio feeds are available fine (listening to BBC London at 64kbps) and
News24 is available at 34kbps. BUT, in the embedded viewer News24 is
available at 128kbps (see Mr Rumble's earlier post with url). Point is the
higer bitrate should be available in an independently playable form as
standard, not by hunting out the url from wherever the Rev found it (I
haven't found it anywhere)

> As for opening their system, while it's pretty unrealistic to imagine
> Real opening their video format (giving MS yet another chance to stick
> it to them by supporting it in Media Player) what's your opinion
> towards Helix --- surely opening up the delivery platform is a step in
> the right direction?

Definitely, opening the player wd be even better - so we can have the
functionality availible in Windo$e.

Dylan

--
It is a dark day...