[Gllug] BBC News 24 at higher quality

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Mar 24 12:19:20 UTC 2003

On Monday, Mar 24, 2003, at 11:46 Europe/London, Dylan wrote:

> Actually, I'd like to see the BBC put pressure on RealNetworks to open
> their
> system (at least somewhat.) But my major gripe is that the broadband
> content
> is primarily (only?) available through an embedded player. It would be
> easy
> enough to provide a "if you can't use the embedded player..." link. I
> have
> already mailed the BBC to that effect, but of course have had no
> response.

Eh? It's there already, isn't it? I've been using Camino on OS X for a
while as my primary browser, and that doesn't (yet) support embedding
Real Player, but have been listening to Radio 6 and am now watching
News 24 without having to jump through hoops. Maybe I'm missing
something?

As for opening their system, while it's pretty unrealistic to imagine
Real opening their video format (giving MS yet another chance to stick
it to them by supporting it in Media Player) what's your opinion
towards Helix --- surely opening up the delivery platform is a step in
the right direction?

Cheers,

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk