[Gllug] Pure or fun?

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 19:52:52 UTC 2003

> Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>
> I have bought a Mac G3 on ebay - just couldn't resist.
>
> I've never had a Mac before and so I am tempted to be impure and not
> install 'nix on it?
>
> Should I be able to live with myself? Is OSX worth a punt?

OSX is rather strange. It's clearly *nix based but they have done some
very odd	things to it. It doesn't seem that stable either, although I
have 10.1 and I hear that 10.2 is much better.

My G3 has OS9, OSX and Linux (Debian Woody) on it on a 10GB drive. There
isn't a lot of space for data:) I suggest you do something similar, so
you can see for yourself what you prefer. It's not particularly
difficult once you work out which partitions to tell the boot loader to
boot in the rather strange Mac partition table.

I find I use it in Linux more than in OSX and never boot OS9 at all but
YMMV.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk