[Gllug] PS/2 to USB adapter

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 11:15:48 UTC 2003

>From: "Andy Farnsworth" <farnsaw at stonedoor.com>
>To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
>Subject: RE: [Gllug] PS/2 to USB adapter
>Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 08:46:52 +0100

>Just to clarify, are you trying to hook a PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse up to
>your Toshiba Laptop which only has USB?  or are you trying to hook a
>USB Keyboard and Mouse up to your Toshiba Laptop which only has PS/2?
>I am also assuming you are not talking about a Sony PlayStation 2 when
>saying PS/2.

>I have not had much luck doing the first.  I have found that it is much
>better and easier just to buy a new Keyboard Mouse pair than to try to
>get PS/2 devices to work via USB.  You do need a driver to get them to
>work, but it should be the standard USB keyboard and mouse drivers.

>Good luck.

>Andy Farnsworth

PS/2 female to male USB, ie. one-way only.

The Toshiba laptop has 3 USB ports and no PS/2. I do have the Microsoft
disks for their Internet Keyboard Pro and PS/2 mouse. Are these the
drivers you mean? How abut Linux? Are specific drivers available?

Regarding getting new devices do you mean simply buy USB keyboard and
mouse? I did buy a Samsung optical USB mouse but it didn't work with
Mandrake 8.2 or 9.0 so I returned it.

The USB keyboard I have plugs 'n plays with both XP and Mandrake but
nothing happens with the PS/2 versions using the adapter.

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk