[Gllug] Red Hat 9.0

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 21:01:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 07:39:01PM +0000, Simon Morris wrote:

> I guessing most of you know already but for those that don't....
>
> Red Hat 9.0 is released on 31st March to RHN subscribers and a week later
> for FTP downloads..
>
> Now what I don't understand is what will be *so* new that they haven't
> gone for 8.1, 8.2, 8.3. Also why not wait for the 2.6 kernel to be
> released to mark a major version release.

RedHat usually keep binary compatibility between point-releases, so
a new major number could indicate a change of kernel, glibc, gcc or
similar.

Rumours have it that they have heavily modified the kernel with
backports from the 2.5 development, back it could just as easily
be the change to glibc. Or they could be doing what they did with
7.0 and making it "2.6 ready", but releasing on schedule.

If you really want to know what it can do, look at the last beta:
  ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/phoebe/

Anyway with only a year's worth of security updates, it's not going
to used for any serious work.

--
|       John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com       |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk