[Gllug] Red Hat 9.0

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 08:47:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, John Edwards uttered the following:
> RedHat usually keep binary compatibility between point-releases, so
> a new major number could indicate a change of kernel, glibc, gcc or
> similar.

In this case it's a change of kernel *and* glibc. :)

> Rumours have it that they have heavily modified the kernel with
> backports from the 2.5 development, back it could just as easily
> be the change to glibc. Or they could be doing what they did with
> 7.0 and making it "2.6 ready", but releasing on schedule.

IIRC, the important (and compatibility-breaking) backport is of the NPTL
stuff. This is cool enough that I'm considering working out which parts
of the RH diff are NPTL-related and applying it myself :) Linux is
going from semi-crappy thread support to stupendous thread support,
and all at once.

(I mean, they've[1] tested it with *millions* of concurrent threads; you
need loads and loads of memory for that, but it works, and nothing falls
over...)

[1] for values of `they' equal to `mingo', and perhaps `drepper'

--
#ifdef USE_ISPTS_FLAG
		} else {	/* else pty, not pts */

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk