[Gllug] Apache running only on LAN

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 13:00:57 UTC 2003

I've just installed ADSL with a router/NAT to 3 local machines (2
Mandrake, 1 XP Pro) running on:

10.0.0.2
10.0.0.3
10.0.0.4

The router is on 10.0.0.1 and its WAN interface is correctly assigned:

212.159.45.120

.... by DHCP.

I've always wanted to be able to run Apache on my Linux box for web
development within the LAN but with my old dial-up account I had to keep
switching it on and off when accessing the internet. Am I correct in
assuming that, even without a firewall, the Apache service is now only
accessible from within the LAN?

OK, OK, OK the firewall's coming soon :-) but I just need to know how
difficult it is to hack my Apache from the internet.

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk