[Gllug] (OT- I think!?) SPAM?

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Mar 26 14:55:42 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, 26 Mar 2003, davemyers at mailbox.co.uk wrote:
>I do remember hearing that the makers of spam were attempting to sue
>over the use of the name "Spam", quoting it as being deformation of
>character, and that "Spam" was a nutritious food source, and where

I think you mean "defamation". Hormel also sued over Spa'am in the
Muppet Treasure Island (losing); however in this case they didn't get
very far, because millions of people employ the expression for UCE and
you can't sue them all.

Finally they requested that people refer to email as "spam" and not as
"SPAM"; their product's name is correctly rendered in all caps.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk