[Gllug] Netgear RP114 router/switch won't receive IP from D-Link DSL-300G+ modem

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 17:51:17 UTC 2003

I have 2 Mandrake 8.2 boxes and an XP Pro box connected to a Netgear
RP114 router/switch but can't get the router to receive it's IP from the
modem via the router's WAN port. The internal IPs in the Flash memory of
the 2 devices are:

Netgear RP114 router/switch: 192.168.0.2 (reset from 0.1)
D-Link DSL-300G+ ethernet modem: 192.168.0.1

The first issue I need some authoritative advice on is PPPoA/PPPoE. My
ISP, PlusNet, uses PPPoA and issues IPs as server-assigned/dynamic.
However, the resulting IP is actually static, so it may be that I have
static and dynamic config options, to further complicate matters :-(

The modem connects to the router via ethernet and is configured:

Connection Type: PPPoA
Encapsulation: VC Mux
Username: myusername
Password: mypassword
Authentication: CHAP
Connect on demand: Enabled
Idle time: 0

PlusNet confirmed these settings are correct.

To configure and test the modem I had to by-pass the router and connect
it directly to the XP machine with DHCP client settings enabled on the
XP machine. This worked fine:

IP Address: 212.159.45.120 (from connection results)
Gateway: 212.159.45.121 (from connection results)

... so the modem works and PlusNet's help ends there :-(

When I plugged the modem into the WAN port on the Netgear RP114
router/switch my problems began. As I intended to eventually have 3
machines connected via NAT I re-set the XP box to:

IP: 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.2 (router's LAN IP)

The Netgear router has the following Encapsulation menu:

Ethernet
PPPoE
PPTP

When I noticed PPPoA wasn't listed I assumed the router was incompatile
with a connection based on PPPoA but some sources have told me that the
PPPoA is only relevant between the modem and the ISP, in which case the
router doesn't need PPPoA. Is this true?

If the router does need PPPoA I'll simply have to exchange it. Assuming
it doesn't need PPPoA, my next dilemma is whether to set it to PPPoE or
Ethernet. Again conflicting opinions.

If I set the router to PPPoE the settings specify:

Encapsulation: PPPoE
Service Name (left blank)
Usnername: myusername
Password; mypassword
Idle timeout: 300secs

There are then options for an ISP-assigned or static IP. Why are login
details required if the modem has already taken care of this? Whatever I
enter makes no difference as the SYSTEM INFO shows the WAN IP to be
0.0.0.0, subnet: 0.0.0.0.

Since I am using NAT I have disabled the router's DHCP server
capability. Am I correct in assuming that NAT only requires a
NAT-capable router and static internal LAN IPs on the client machines?
If there's more to it maybe this is why I cannot connect.

As a last resort I switched the router settings to Ethernet and assigned
the IP manually:

WAN IP Address Assignment
------------------------
Get automatically from ISP (default/unchecked)
Use fixed IP address: (checked)
 - IP address: 212.159.45.120
 - IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
 - Gateway IP address: 212.159.45.121

This finally resulted in the WAN port getting the correct IP but the
internet connection still failed.

I've had a over week of this and it's driving me crazy. Can anyone help?

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk