[Gllug] Have I been compromised?

Adrian McMenamin Adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 17:51:17 UTC 2003

I have a remote web server that is behaving oddly.

I can ping it, and it appears to accept connections on port 80.

But it no longer delivers any content (just hangs for ever until client
times out) and I can also no longer connect on port 22 (just hangs
again, without even prompting me for a username) - but if I telnet to
port 22, the remote machine actively terminates the connection,
suggesting that sshd is active in some way.

I will be able to physically examine the system tomorrow am, but I am
concerned that I have been hacked in some way. What do you think? Any
means of drawing any conclusions remotely?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk