Is NOT anymore : [Gllug] Stop the War march this Saturday 22nd

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Tue Mar 18 10:36:28 UTC 2003

On Tue 18 Mar Formi wrote:
> People manage to do it, however I can't imagine being a GPL, BSD
> license supporter without having strong political opinions. The Linux
> and BSDs communities are all about "freedom" that in the software
> world was hijacked by greedy commercial interest, ie "us citizens and
> cos started it", (RMS-Xerox incident and similar).
>
> So, I guess most people using software released by the above 2
> licenses are against ALL military actions, the rest are unable to see
> the whole picture and notice all wars nowdays are only driven for and
> by economic interesets.
>
> What would be the point in having a Linux anti-war mailing list?

Some people use Free Software for non-political reasons (for example
it's better and it's free-as-in-beer).   Some people probably choose it
for other practical, economic of social reasons that aren't to do with
their political opinions.

Certainly on my first encounter with free software I thought it was
completely insane, and only used it because it was cheap (my opinions
have changed somewhat in the intervening years ;).

You can't expect everyone to share your political views just because
they choose the same computing platform.

doug.

http://www.britishsteal.com                        doug at pigeonhold.com
1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"The United States is like the guy at the party who gives
cocaine to everybody and still nobody likes him. -- Jim Samuels"