[Gllug] Priracy.

Walid Shaari Walid at melinux.com
Tue Mar 4 16:11:49 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 11:13, John Hearns wrote:

> In French, the term used is 'software libre' rather than 'software
> gratuit'.
> Anyone know what the term is in other languages?

In the Arabic language its same as the French the two words are
different :

	Maj'an	 ==> gratuit
	Hur	 ==> libre

I am interested to hear on how it can be ethical/proper to break an
agreement and call it sharing, the effects of warez/piracy is already
included on the price-tag, why should I be paying for that??

United Arab Emirates have introduced piracy laws since the last five to
seven years, the effects of them the last two years can be seen on the
number of local business in there showing greater interest in Open
Source alternatives, which is a good outcome AFAIK.

I do agree with John though on that, the issue is we have chosen GNU
linux, and OSS because of other reasons, on top of them is reliability,
great user and developer base, among reducing the TCO.

Walid.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk