[Gllug] Frustrated with Linux - Gllug #2621

Frank Kelly fkelly at organictv.clara.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 08:52:27 UTC 2003

Only a part-time geek so please understand if my teccy talk is sub-optimal!

I understand exactly how you feel - and the pressure to switch back to
Windows!  I built my own machine (1Gig AMD, 80 Gig HD, 0.5 Gig RAM) and, on
the whole, am happy with it's performance.  I run Suse Professional 8.0
which, is a package I'd recommend - especially where ease of printing is
concerned.  However, I have now had Linux for a year and still don't have a
working floppy disk, still can't run certain sound packages, can't burn a CD
and so on.  I help my partner operate a business and this does create a bit
of pressure and, like you, I just don't have time to investigate.

On the other hand, I like the control and the independence from Bill Gates!
Times are hard - but this is a war after all.

My suggestions: Suse Professional 8.0 is good.  A faster machine would help.
Suse includes Star Office, which seems to be able to deal with MS Office
documents.

Frank Kelly

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk