[Gllug] 4/5 pings fail

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Sun Mar 2 15:06:20 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 12:48, Murray wrote:
> any ideas?
>
> while pinging my linux box/server/router, the first 6 to 10 pings succeed in
> <10ms.
>
> from then on, only about 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 succeed.

One possibility: have you got a host firewall on the linux box, and if
so, do you have a rate limit on icmp echo-request (I've seen many
example configs which seem to recommend doing this).

The --limit directive for iptables allows a burst (hence your first 5 or
6) after which it then strictly rate limits.

Look for it with:
  iptables -nvL  | grep limit | grep 'icmp type 8'

(icmp echo is type 8)

If it is that, you can either raise the limit or  add an extra line
ahead of it to allow your internal machines a higher (or unlimited)
number of pings.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk