[Gllug] More fetchmail/sendmail questions

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 2 13:33:21 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 11:14, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> Thanks for all the help yesterday in getting the sendmail/mail relaying
> problem sorted out. But as a result of that I got brave and tried to
> fully unicise my email set up here.
>
> I am now using sendmail to relay my outgoing mail to Homechoice's smtp
> server and that seems to work fine (though I get this header on mail I
> have sent to myself eg to this list --- X-Authentication-Warning:
> landslide.localdomain: Adrian set sender to Adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
> using -f --- not sure if Demon's POP3 is adding that or Homechoice's
> smtp or my sendmail).

Your sendmail. Sendmail allows users to chage the sender of a message
using the -f switch, however it adds the warning if the user is not in
the trusted user class. Add your username to /etc/mail/trusted-users (or
possible /etc/mail/sendmail.ct is your setup is using the older file
locations).

> But I cannot get the other half (ie fetchmail) to work.
>
> I can successfully pull down mail from Demon's POP3 server and forward
> that to root, but I cannot send anything to "Adrian" (my log in name on
> this box). Indeed I cannot even log in as root and send Adrian a piece
> of mail. Is there a simple way of overcoming this?

This is what I use:-

set daemon 300  # Poll at 5-minute intervals
set postmaster "postmaster"
set syslog
set bouncemail

poll pop3.demon.co.uk protocol POP3 aka mailstore nodns:
    localdomains coruscant.demon.co.uk
    user coruscant is * password secretpassword fetchall

This fetches all mail queued for *@coruscant.demon.co.uk and delivers to
appropriate local mailboxes. You can map demon mailbox names to local
usernames with /etc/mail/aliases if necessary.

HTH

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk