[Gllug] Red Hat 9.0

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Sat Mar 29 01:59:52 UTC 2003

Nix writes:

>I'm sure I saw mention somewhere of a 10-megathread test --- or maybe it
>was `we didn't do this because it would have required insane amounts of
>memory'.

Quite possible. The 100,000 thread test required 1GB RAM, although
with Ben LaHaise's IRQ stacks patch, they were able to bring that
down to "only" 500MB. Going to two orders of magnitude more threads
wouldn't have been pretty! That said, Anton Blanchard has managed
to get 1 million threads running on a ppc64 box with 24GB RAM (and
apparently taking the load average into 6 figures in the process :-)

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk