[Gllug] Problems with modem

davemyers at mailbox.co.uk davemyers at mailbox.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 10:46:39 UTC 2003

> At 11:08 11/03/03, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've been trying to set up an external modem to use with RedHat 7.3. It's a
> >(2nd hand) Robotics Sportster Flash V.90, and it works fine under Windows.
> >However, even though kudzu recognises it, and RH didn't complain when
> >setting up the dial-up connection, I'm not able to establish a connection
> >with the ISP.
> >
> >I wonder if anyone could help trying to pinpoint the problem please.
> >
> >I attach the messages I get when I use 'wvdial' to establish the
> >connection and also the messages from /var/log.
> >
> > From my very little understanding of these matters it seems that the
> > modem is actually OK and that it is something to do with ppp daemon.
> >
> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Tiago
> >
> >---------------//------------
> >
> >  wvdial UKLinux
> >--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
> >--> Initializing modem.
> >--> Sending: ATZ
> >ATZ
> >OK
> >--> Modem initialized.
> >--> Sending: ATDT 08456042086
> >--> Waiting for carrier.
> >ATDT 08456042086
> >CONNECT 33600/ARQ
> >--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
> >--> Starting pppd at Sat Mar  8 23:30:13 2003
> >--> PPP daemon has died! (exit code = 16)
> >--> Disconnecting at Sat Mar  8 23:30:39 2003
> >--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
> >--> pppd error!  Look at files in /var/log for an explanation.
> >
> >---------------//------------
>
> The following line got inadvertently left off my earlier posting:
>
> Alternatively, you could try looking up the thread "Can't connect to the
> Internet" yourself.
>
> Rgds
> Dermot
>

> --

Hi all.

I know that this is probably going to sound really amazingly dumn, but who is your ISP? I
used to be on
"Netscapeonline" the freebee version of AOL, and when I went over to Linux I had the same
problem - only to descover
that AOL didn't support linux based systems (i'm using SuSe 7.0 ?? I think can't remember
off hand!) anyway it caused
me no end of grief untill I found out that this was the problem, and I'm fairly certain
that the error messages were
similar to yours, the modem would log on but the ISPs server wouldn't recognise the sign
on!

Also looking at your exit code, this sounds remarkably familiar, I often have trouble
myslf, even tried changing to a
new dialup number. you could try running wvdial under the superuser, I can't remember how
but you can send a stream of
data to the modem and it will confirm that it is working properly, look in the ppp help
and wvdial man pages for more.

Probably doesn't help much, but I'm only a relative newby!

Dave "the Rave" Myers

AKA the scourge of the dusty
eyeball.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk