[Gllug] frustrated with Linux

Stig Brautaset gllug at brautaset.org
Sat Mar 1 08:53:41 UTC 2003

On Mar 01 2003, Steve wrote:
> 1. Would I be better moving to something like Suse or Mandrake on the
> desktop so it's simpler to get printing working, be able to install
> latest apps etc? Or stick with Debian, upgrade to testing and try to use
> some of unstable?

Have you tried `apsfilter' for printing? Took a bit of configuring, but
it wasn't really hard. It's fairly mature, so I think you'll find the
version in stable should work.

> 2. Using Gnome or KDE so there is consistency in apps/key bindings?
> (speed is an issue here which is why I've been using ION and moved to
> MUTT for mail).

Do you _need_ consistency? Different apps do different things -- why do
you want to interface with them in the exact same way?

I like mutt for email too, but I don't use it simply because it's lean;
I use it because it's the best email client I've tried, speed not being
a consideration.

> 3. Would a faster computer help?  I'm currently using a 500Mhz AMD with
> 196Mb RAM, my main reason for not using openoffice is it's too slow,
> same with mozila, GIMP etc.  Although this in mainly opening new windows
> or rendering large pages but then this is what I'm doing a lot.

A P3 500 MHz laptop with a _dog_ _slow_ disk and 128 MB of memory is my
main machine. The only software I have with very slow start-up time is
Mozilla[1], but I find that just keeping a browser window open most of
the time and just using C-t (control t) to create a new tab is fairly
fast.

[1] but then I doesn't use any office-tools.

> 4. Any ideas of a free SIP client for Linux and Windows that are
> compatible?

I don't even know what a SIP client is.

Stig
--