[Gllug] frustrated with Linux

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Sat Mar 1 08:39:52 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 00:49, Steve Nicholson wrote:

> I'm in a two man business doing web apps mainly doing the business and
> sys admin work, so don't really have the time to spend on making my PC
> work properly.  I spend a lot of time using email, web browser and rxvt
> terminals with the odd spreadsheet and text document.

I hate to say it so blatantly, and hope you get a friendly tone here.
Its maybe time you thought about professional help.
Get in someone to help with the systems admin, and discovering what you
need to run efficient servers, desktops and network. You can then get on
with doing your job.
You don't need to hire someone full time, think about a consultant.

> So some questions:
> 1. Would I be better moving to something like Suse or Mandrake on the
> desktop so it's simpler to get printing working, be able to install
> latest apps etc? Or stick with Debian, upgrade to testing and try to use
> some of unstable?

I would say yes. Both good choices.
I would say Redhat 8 would be an excellent choice for you also - the
desktop apps that you want come straight out of the box.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk